Tuesday, June 19, 2012

6.19.2012: mtn lines

Mtn Lines, wood, 168" x 22" x 36", ChaNorth, Pine Plains, NY, 2012.

Today was full of many tinkering failures, large and small, but in the golden light this evening, I may have found an inkling of something better. Once again, the whole becomes more than the sum of its parts. And, whether I am conscious of them at the time, I keep exploring the same things:  multiples, some sort of landscape/hillock/mountain form, and the interaction with a location. When I put those three big L-shapes together and photographed the result, I also found a relationship to the old building and the power lines in the background, which was unexpected, and puts a nice conceptual twist to the sculpture's leaning form. It may be a mountain out of a molehill, or a molehill out of a mountain, in  this case, but it's something for now.

p.s. I also like the pun-ny title (Mtn Lines...i.e. mountain lions), although I haven't seen or heard any around here. Only coyotes and owls. And, the light really is golden right before sunset around here--we've been calling it the magic hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment