Wednesday, May 26, 2010

5.23.2010: day 88

New Haven. Yale Art Gallery. Helmet Mask (a-Rong-a-Thoma). Temne. Sierra Leone, early 20th century.

"Fancy" Masquerade Headdress. Temne, Ode Lay association. Sierra Leone. Mid-to-late 20th century.

My friend, Nikki, and I went to the Yale Art Gallery today. We checked out the Jane Davis Doggett: Talking Graphics exhibit. She created simple graphics to illustrate various quotes. Here's a blurb about her show: blurb
Then, I wandered up to the African Art section. I tend to find masks fascinating because of the variety of characters or spirits or othernesses you could become when you put one on.

And then, lo and behold, as we were walking back to our friend's house (thanks you guys!), we came across some sort of celebration. Their feathered headdresses were amazing. It was one of those times when things just sort of align... gets me thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment